Monday, November 24, 2008

Thank You Atiyana and Amari

As we know Thanksgiving us just a few days away. I just wanted to take this time to offer thanks to some important people in my life; my daughters Atiyana and Amari. It’s funny how our children are always thanking us for the things we provide them but as parents, we rarely ever thank them for the things they do for us. I mean of course they don’t pay bills (yet) and they may not be able to provide us with food and shelter but they do offer us things that are often over looked.

Their mom and I split when we were young and they don’t live close to me. Anyone who knows me also knows that this breaks my heart every second of everyday. Although we don’t see each other as often as I would like, the relationship I have with my daughters is very special. Even though we are miles apart they always say “Dad, we understand, and we love you so much”. Once I was low on cash and they offered to send me $100 out of their piggy banks to help me get to NY. Just the thought almost made a grown man cry. After that, I said to myself if my daughters can offer me their hard saved cash to get me there, I can use the last bit of dough I have to get there even if I would be broke when I got back. When I arrived God blessed my in ways that were nothing short of miracles. Real talk. (And I didn’t take their money … LOL )

So I thank my daughters for showing me that all we need in life is faith. I thank Amari, who at 11 years old said “Dad, if you want to do something bad enough you’ll do IT, or maybe you didn’t really want to”. I thank my daughter Atiyana, who at 12 years old told me that “She will always love me no matter what she hears about me”. I thank them both for teaching me what sacrifice is all about and what it really means to love someone enough to die for.

I thank them for teaching me to never give up because I wouldn't just be giving up on me … I’d be giving up on them as well. I thank them for keeping me from cussing these people at work out almost everyday. Because I look at their picture at my desk and tell myself that no one can do or say anything that will take food out of my kid’s mouth. I thank them for helping me to be more selective with the women I date. I know now to look for the type of women I want my daughters to be one day.

And lastly I thank them for loving me when at times I feel no one else does. Unconditional love is what they’ve given me from the moment they opened their eyes in the delivery room. I will continue to live my life, if not for any other reason but to make sure theirs is better.

Thank you Attie and Mo Mo! Daddy will always love you … kisses and hugs!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share