Tuesday, September 16, 2008

a penny for your thoughts


Last night i had a nightmare. In my dream I was back at my old job. It was the first day of class and I was completely ill-prepared. I could not find my classroom and when I did, I was greeted by a room full of students waiting to be challenged. I quickly realized that I had no textbook and no prior experience teaching Biology. I couldn't understand what I was even doing teaching a Biology class, I had always taught English and History... where are my lesson plans?


"Okay, do an ice breaker... I can't remember how it goes... Why did I even come back to work?" Oh yeah, I remember. because being an unknown poet is a terrible occupation. "Okay Red, wait until a recession hits, quit your good government job and go on the road being a poet." Now, I've had some success in my career and I've travelled quite a bit doing shows in many cities. But I have recently come to a strong realization "People do not think they have to pay poets." Especially not ones without the Simmons/Lathan stamp of approval. And from the looks of things, even that is not a clear signal to quit your day job. I've even seen poets from the Broadway cast at the same open mics I've attended.


Funny thing is, if I were a singer, it would be understood that I was to be paid for performing. I've seen rappers refuse to go onstage until their check was cut. But to turn around and ask me to do a 30 min set to "help you out" is beyond amazing. I know singers who will do two complete sets of covers (other people's songs) and be paid. but you expect me to write original work, memorize it and give a stellar performance for a "thank you?" Not Okay!


What's even more disturbing is seeing Soljah Boy on tv complaining about how much it costs him to gas up his Hummer... shit, I'm trying to put $40 in this Saturn and I'm hurting. But every venue wants me to be understanding and take pennies in exchange for my soul's deepest expression. If I demand what I'm due, then I'm difficult or a diva. If I take less, then I'm hungry. And in the profound words of a beloved poet (Saddi) "Poets gotta eat too..." I hear you brother, I hear you.


So, this is my official apology letter for all the poets who have come to my school over the years and volunteered their time and talents to help my students become better writers and performers. I apologize for not fighting my administration for you. I apologize for only heralding your praises on the mic and not where it could really help you. I want to say to you that your sacrifice is duly noted, but don't ever do that again. Your work is valuable and you should be compensated for it. So, Armen Rah, Deana Dean, Harold Green, Malik Yusef, 720, Enigma Poets, Binky, Ugly, Avery R Young, e nina jay, Ainsley Burrows and M'reld. I say to you now that I appreciate you and I love you for what you have given me and my students. I will NEVER ask that of you again.


So, thank you for listening and Ladies and Gentleman remember to tip your waitresses and please pay your poet

You can check out RED SUMMER at http://www.twofingerspress.com/about_us.html

s

No comments:

Bookmark and Share